Sunday, August 23, 2009

Stillwater fly swap 2009




There are only a couple of forums that I will participate in fly swaps, Rocky Mountain Fly is one of those sites. The quality of tiers are outstanding, and the flies are what I would fish with. Here are my two patterns for the swap. These two flies have been big producers on the still water this year.


This fly is my UV Callibaetis Nymph. Big producers at the mountain lakes. Spinney, Delany and Antero .





Hook: 2xl Nymph Hook
Thread: 8/0 Rusty Dun
Tail: Grey ostrich herl
Rib: 4lbs mono
Shell Back: Thin Skin Mottled Bustard Natural
Abdomen: Dubbing Mixture 60% Light tan hares mask, 40% UV tan Ice Dub. This mixture needs to be very light in color. Also after I tie the abdomen I brush out the dubbing on the sides to create the look of the gills.
Wing case: Thin Skin Mottled Bustard Natural
Thorax: Dubbing Mixture 60% Hares Mask, 40% UV Tan Ice Dub. This mixture is darker than that of the abdomen.
Legs: Natural Partridge


This fly is my No Name Red Midge. This fly is modeled after the cowboy midge from a Friend of mine.


Hook: 2xl Curved Nymph Hook
Thread: 8/0 red
Rib: Small Silver Wire
Abdomen: Red Fireworks Braid
Wing Case and Gills: White CDC Puff
Thorax: Red Dyed Peacock Herl

No comments:

Post a Comment