Monday, July 18, 2011

A Rant about Coloradofisherman.com Forums

This rant is pointed to the fly fishing and fly tying section of the forum. One day this weekend got up an got on my computer and was checking out a couple of the forums. I started reading this post on the Coloradofisherman.com fly fishing forum about a poor customer service from a popular Denver Metro fly shop. The member that posted this topic was very unhappy with the customer service he had been receiving and he was done giving this shop his money. The posted was done very tasteful, no foul language. I marked this post for follow up, came back later in the day and could not find the post. Personally I think some of the moderators on the fly fishing and the fly tying portion of this site delete post way to freely. I understand the need for moderators for these types of site, what they did feels more like censorship. Also I feel if the post was about any other shop than it was it would have been left. I'm really thinking about contacting the site and voicing my displeasure of this practice, moderators need to be kept in check.

Done with my rant. What do you think?

7 comments:

  1. I saw the same thread and despite calling out the shop for the perceived slight/poor service, it didn't seem like it was an attack on the shop, but simply sharing the bad experience. I was a surprised to see the thread removed so quickly.

    I have had similar experiences at the same shop, as well as some other well known metro Denver shops, and am always a bit chaffed when the "support your local shop" crowd steps up to the soap box. I get that everyone has good/bad days, but is it really that hard to give good service to everyone that walks through the door?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been to the forum you mentioned and I don't have a clue about the fly shop you're talking about. As long as I've been fishing, I could have posted a similar gripe about almost every shop in Colorado at one time or another.

    The first thing I presume is they've got a new employee who has a crap personality or is having a really bad day, so I try not to take it too personally. They'll get one more chance to make it right. Over the years you get a pretty good feel for the really good shops and the average or below shops.

    As an administrator at the Fiberglass Flyrodders Forum, I do the bidding of a great owner...who doesn't want to get sued for character assassination (libel) or be the cause of someone's business being disparaged and going under. Fly fishermen are a strange breed (Myself included)and many spoil for a forum "fight". Why take the chance? That spoils it for everyone. If the guy's business is so shabby, he'll put himself out of business soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not reading the post I'm not a fan of "censorship" but I'm sure everyone has their reasons, whether they are evident or not. I have no issues with it. When you play in someone else's forum, that's the way it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Troutrageous makes a good point about it being their private little playground, but I completely agree that most (not all, but many) forum admins go on a power trip once their site gains traction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was it about Charlie's delightful emporium of aggressively priced baubles perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you on this CP, it's a free site why shouldn't people be able to rant, if the store is a well recommended store or not the people whom go to this shop should be able to judge for them selves whether a person got bad service or not..
    I have also been in arguments on the coloradofisherman site with there moderators and those discussions were deleted before anyone could post there opinions also.. oh well thats my rant..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Drat the luck... I missed this post and would of been interested in reading it. As a moderator on said site, all I can say is it was deleted which isnt something the moderators usually do. We usually move all removed posts to a forum that is only viewable by the moderators and Don. Usually when posts get deleted its done by the original poster or Don. Shoot me a PM on the forum (ePiC) with more details and I will try to find out what happened to the post and why it was removed.

    ReplyDelete