Sunday, December 14, 2014

Tryiny something different

Playing around at the vise today tried a different hook on my "D" rib golden stone nymph. I have seen a few stones tied a scud hook, so I thought I would give it a try. I like the looks of the fly on the current hook that I use but my current hook is a little week. First needed to figure out what size scud hook compared to the size of hook was comparable to the hook I was tying on. Here are a few pictures of the results. My first impression is I like what I see.  Going to try to get out later this week and give them a try and see if the fish agree.
Various sizes

Size 8 scud hook versus size 12 3xl

Size 6, Size 8 & Size 10 Scud hooks

Size 8, Size 6 and Size 10 scud hooks

2 comments:

  1. I tie on scud hooks almost exclusively for my nymphs. I like the general curve look of the final product and the strength of the hook is great too. I also think the hooking power is better due to the wider gap.
    I think your stone looks great on that hook.

    Cheers

    J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking stones Carl. I'll need to tie a few up. Jerry

    ReplyDelete